BRIEF EXPLANATION OF AUTO INSURANCE COVERAGES
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY (PDL)
This coverage pays for certain damage (up to the limit, or maximum amount of benefits stated in the policy) that you or anyone covered under your policy cause to another person’s property through the use of an automobile, if you are legally liable.
PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION OR PIP (also called no-fault coverage)
This coverage protects you while in your own or someone else’s vehicle. It also protects you as a pedestrian or bicyclist if you suffer an injury in an accident involving a motor vehicle while in Florida. If you get into an automobile accident, PIP covers you up to the limits of your PIP coverage, regardless of fault.
BODILY INJURY LIABILITY
This coverage pays for death or serious and permanent injury to others when you are legally liable for an accident involving your automobile. Your insurance company will pay for injuries up to the limits of your policy and provide legal representation if you get sued.
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST (UM)
This coverage pays for bodily injuries to you, your family members and any other person occupying your covered automobile, should they be caused by the negligence of an uninsured or underinsured motorist. UM pays for medical expenses and lost wages (after your PIP coverage is exhausted)
This coverage pays for medical expenses for accidental injury up to the limit of your policy. It covers your medical expenses, plus those of your family members or passengers, regardless of fault (unlike bodily injury liability insurance). It applies whether you are in your automobile or someone else’s, or if you are hit by an automobile while walking or bicycling. Since PIP covers only 80 percent of medical expenses, medical payments insurance could cover the remaining 20 percent, and possibly the PIP deductible, depending on the policy provisions. Medical payments will also cover the amount in excess of the PIP limit, up to the limit specified in the policy.
This coverage pays for repair or replacement of your vehicle if it collides with another vehicle, flips over or crashes into an object,
This coverage pays for losses from incidents other than a collision, such as fire, theft, windstorm, vandalism or flood. It also covers damages caused by falling objects or hitting an animal.
You may add towing and road service to your auto insurance. But your insurance company may cancel your policy for too many towing claims, even if you have no accidents.
You may receive reimbursement for auto rental up to a specified limit, which is contained in your policy. It applies if you get into an accident with your own automobile and can no longer drive it.
IF YOUR POLICY CANCELS OR LAPSE.
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles will suspend your driver license, vehicle tag and registration if your insurance company cancels your PIP and PDL coverage and you fail to obtain new coverage. To get your license, tag and registration reinstated, you must then provide proof of insurance and pay a reinstatement fee of:
$150 FOR THE FIRST OFFENSE,
$250 FOR THE SECOND OFFENSE AND
$500 FOR EACH ADDITIONAL OFFENSE WITH IN A 3 YEAR PERIOD!